Thursday, November 15, 2007

Le Weekend a Alger...

(I added some pics to my Djazair: Miscellaneous album, so click here...)

I have been getting around and becoming more familiar…maybe too familiar with the city…lol. I am starting to run into friends/students/workmates here and there. But I am really enjoying Algiers.


I did a lot this Wednesday…I went to a presentation on attending college in the US at the Bouzareah campus. I encouraged the Algerian students to apply by mentioning the example of Nuha, my former Yemeni student, who is now attending a SUNY (State University of New York) school in Cobleskill with the help of a scholarship.

In the pm I headed to the Hamma, or National Library, to visit the new friends at the American Corner, Radia, Karima and Souad. I went and had coffee with Radia and Souad and showed them the Sombrilla Magazine of UTSA. They were delighted to practice their English and hear about university life in the US.

On Thursday, I went back through Belcourt past the Hamma to check out the Musee des Beaux Arts and found a great collection of art…much of it French, and some very interesting modern Algerian works. There are impressionist paintings, for example, Monet, Pisarro, Renoir, Degas, etc. and a couple of wings housing the work of Orientalists like Delacroix. The Orientalist work is a fascinating romantic vision of the area.

The outstanding collection of paintings are well complemented by sculptures, several done by Rodin. The building itself dates from the 1930s and has several stages/terraces that face directly on to a main promenade of the Jardin d’Essai. At one time, to enter the Musee des Beaux-Arts, one walked through that grand walkway up to the monumental edifice.

The terraces have several bronze sculptures and provide a nice place to have a cup of java and take in the wonderful vistas of Algiers. I thoroughly enjoyed the visit. Although, one cannot take pictures inside, there are several reasonably priced books and postcards available inside.

After my visit, I walked into a shishkabob restaurant and had some mini-skewers of merguez, kidney, and meat. It was delicious and I must say the traditional bread that accompanied it was excellent. Pas mal, hein? (Not bad, eh?)


On Friday, I headed out into the city, looking for more good foo and found Matam Samarkand and had some kofte (meat balls) with garbanzo beans, sauce and white lubia (beans). Mmmmmmm.

After that, I wandered about taking pictures and talking to whoever while the faithful worshipped at the mosque. After prayer, I hung out at Port Said watching guys in a cafe play dominoes and Tarot. Later, I stumbled upon the National Theatre and found out there would later be a traditional dance ballet..so I waited around for that. In general, it was refreshing to see modern dance melanged with some traditional movements. Near the end, they did a number with rhythmic pounding that was related to the big “mortar and pestle” “pile” that one sees in Africa. It brought back memories of the RIM and of my times with the people there…not only for that kitchen utensil, but also for the rhythms. It moved me to tears I have to say and I couldn’t really pinpoint why.

Is it the work that women do?…the rhythms of them, of Africa, the trance, the catharsis one experiences in pounding out those beats….something..

No comments: