Friday, October 12, 2007

Alors maintenant...La Blanche

I finally made it to Algiers and I brought the rain….It is a great city from what I can tell. I feel the history, the modernity. The airport is new and impressive, but getting into town was not due to traffic and some flooding. The customs and immigration procedures went smooth, however they did keep my binoculars. I brought a small pair and apparently they are prohibited. They will actually keep them there for up to four months. I wasnt the only one either; A Chinese tourist actually had the same exact jumelles, as they are called en français. I am staying at a nice Arabo-Mauresque hotel for $85 a night…Dar Diaf.
Now I’m in my room watching a great show on democracy(the lack of) in Egypt. A great civic movement a group called Shayfeen. Practicing civic displays complaining of how the govt. negates their voice at the voting polls. They also unfortunately get beaten up when they try to peacefully demonstrate. Good TV program though.

So I’m now in Algiers, a city very much influenced by it's position on the northern coast of Africa. Most recently, the French were here and their lasting impression is still alive in the architecture and in the language. They nicknamed it La Blanche because of all the white buildings.


Here are some pictures for you: Algiers La Blanche