Monday, October 15, 2007

Home & Phone

Today, I took care of le bizness. That is real estate….it actually went rather smooth…with all things considered. The "Queen of the Touregs", Tinhinan, has gracefully aided me in my efforts to arrive, secure housing and tomorrow will introduce me to the University officials before I start teaching English. (Tinhinan is not actually royalty, but that is the origin of her name.)

This year I live on the 8th floor of a 12-story building, technically the 9th if you count the ground floor (rez de chausee). And I have a great view of the Mediterranean as it lies before the port of Algiers. While giving me a tour of my new place, the landlord’s representative (his brother), stated simply that I could leave the bay doors open before my bed and just be inspired as I look over the city below and beyond before la mer mediterranee. It’s true, and it feels quite nice to do so with the guitar. This furnished apartment comes at a price of 50,000 Algerian Dinars per month. That is approximately 730 dollars according to http://www.xe.com/ucc/full.php. Rentals here are paid in cash up front and include a 3 month deposit, so I literally handed over a bundle of dinars. There were also fees paid to a notary, insurance company and one months rent to the rental agency. :) As you can see it is a nice place and there is plenty of room, so couchsurfers are welcome.

I also bought a cheap Nokia model cell phone. My cousin Greg had given me his old Sony Ericsson, but the battery was a little batty and I opted for the no frills of just buying a local model. The actual chip only cost about $7 and the phone $40. So I’m all set, it’s prepaid and pay as you go, so no worries, no hassles, no debate and no interest. Lol

Anyways, email me if you’d like to give me a call and I’ll relate some random situation. ;) cheers Algiers!

No comments: